Friday, April 18, 2008

Making Tracks (At Last!)

As a kid, I couldn't wait to turn 16, so I could get my driver's license. In high school, I couldn't wait to find out if I was accepted into my dream college, the University of Georgia (which I was - I'm graduating in just a few weeks!). And now, I can't wait for the Brain Train to become a reality.

While it may take time, I know the proposed commuter rail line from Athens to Atlanta WILL happen some day. I just hope it's sooner rather than later -- and sooner it may be. With the conclusion of the Georgia legislative session a few weeks ago, we have made progress for not only the Brain Train, but also other commuter rail lines around the state. Maybe everyone is finally realizing how horrendous and unbearable our traffic congestion problems really are? For one thing, we know that our traffic woes will certainly not improve until we change the way we travel.

Just last week, we heard about a proposed commuter rail line from Atlanta to Marietta running along I-75. As mentioned in a recent AJC story, the line is cost effective and would also allow the development of the Atlanta-Lovejoy line, which already has federal funding earmarked for it.

I personally think the Marietta line, just like the Brain Train line, is a necessity for the metro Atlanta area. I've made the painstaking commute from Atlanta to Marietta (my hometown) and Athens (where I go to school) hundreds of times, and who knows how many hours I've wasted time sitting in gridlocked traffic? More than I care to count, I'm sure.

If the legislators, Georgia DOT and we, as voting citizens, agree to build the Marietta and Lovejoy lines along with and before the Brain Train, I say go for it! At this point, I would like to see any of these lines be the first to be built and up and running. Its success will lead the way for more lines to be built, and maybe then we can get our traffic problems under control.

What do you think? Are you tired of dealing with traffic and ready to hop aboard the [insert your train of choice here]? If the multimodal center that has been sitting empty without a train for more than two years now is any indication, I'd say that Athens is (and has been) ready for the Brain Train.

3 comments:

Brian said...

Can't wait for this to be a reality. Makes so much sense on so many levels for all the counties on the corridor.

Lizzie Azzolino said...

I can't wait for the day it actually happens. I know it will will come with effort that has been put in so far. I heard this morning that Marta is being used something like 50 percent more in the past month because of the rising gas prices. What a great angle to pitch! Yet another reason for the Brain Train!

Brian said...

I wonder if Athens Transit is seeing an increase as a result of rising gas prices.... perhaps something our Inbox reporters should look into....