Thursday, July 3, 2008

For the Fourth: Fire and Flavor

Ah, yes. The Fourth of July...otherwise known as the Day of American Grilling.

In preparation for the holiday, I decided to venture out to Commerce Boulevard to visit with Davis and Gena Knox, co-owners of Fire and Flavor, a local Athens company that manufactures and sells cedar grilling planks, spices, rubs, brines, skewers and a cookbook- all for under $10. Beat that, Williams-Sonoma.

"Grilling doesn't have to be like Bubba Barbeque," said Davis.

I think that was my favorite part of my visit with he and his wife, Gena (pronounced JEN-uh, not GEE-nuh).

When I went and met them on Thursday morning, July 3, the warehouse and office were already in full swing. Music was playing; lights were on, and everyone was there- including their two precious dogs.

One of the first questions I asked Davis was who came up with the idea of selling wood for cooking. He said Gena originally discovered cooking with cedar planks is an ancient tradition of Native Americans, mainly in the Pacific Northwest.

When Gena first tried cooking with a cedar plank, she thought it was fabulous. Smoky, hearty and healthy- what more could you ask for? The more she looked around, she realized hardly anyone sold cedar planks in the South. That's when the wheels started turning.

From a garage in Atlanta to a brand new warehouse in Athens, Fire and Flavor has grown exponentially. I got a special tour of the warehouse from Davis, and it was fascinating. Assembly lines, shrinkwrap machines, boxes, platforms, huge shelves (I know I sound like I grew up under a rock...) I had a blast learning about the process.

I took a video of the planks going through the shrinkwrap machine. Check it out!



While I was sitting in the office with Davis and Gena, I asked them what sets Fire and Flavor apart from all the other cooking companies. What's going to keep them going for a long time? They confidently said, "We sell products at the highest quality for a low price. That's our goal. If we can continue to show people grilling can be healthy, tasty and cheap, we've done our job."

I thought that was a pretty good answer.

So far, they distribute their products to Publix, Kroger, Lowes, EarthFare, Whole Foods- basically any store that has cooking or grilling equipment. Click here to find a seller near you.

One main focus of their business is education. They teach people about their products and how to use them. I bet your average Joe doesn't know what a brine is, or how to use a cedar paper.

These are new concepts, but they have some delish results.

I was very curious to know where they get their recipes for the new cookbook, Gourmet Made Simple. Gena said her Mom was a caterer, so she grew up around food. All the recipes are Gena originals.

"I just trust my instincts," she said.

Gena is also the artist behind the food displays in the cookbooks. She cooks the food herself and then arranges all the accents and pretty herbs on them for the picture.

I think you can see how Davis and Gena Knox are involved in every aspect of their business. It's pretty amazing.

So, if you're looking for a way to spiffy-up your Fourth of July grill, head to your local grocery store and buy one of their products. I'm pretty excited about my new set of cedar planks I'll be cooking with.

2 comments:

Eric said...

I met Davis at the Terry Welcome Event this past semester. He's part of the Young Alumni Board for the Terry College, and he's trying to rally his troops to get more involved in the undergrad community. Great guy from the few moments I had with him. Glad to see he's getting this exposure!

Brian said...

Yeah, great guy and great business idea that he and Gena have turned into reality. BTW -- thanks for commenting. Like your blog.