Thursday, August 28, 2008

A New Perspective on Dirt

If you're staying in town for this Labor Day weekend, be sure to check out Perspectives, the 6th annual pottery exhibit and sale hosted by Oconee Cultural Arts Foundation. Fifty potters will be displaying and selling their work, starting with the opening gala Friday night. Admission for the gala is $5, but starting Saturday, the sale and exhibit are free and open to the public. The whole affair takes place at the OCAF complex in downtown Watkinsville off School Street - with the exception of some of the studio tours.

If you're going out of town this weekend, you'll still have an opportunity to get the dirt. I collect pottery, so I'll probably make multiple visits to the show over its three-week span from August 29-September 7 when it's open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. I'm especially looking forward to seeing work from Kelly King (shown here) again - her pottery caught my eye at last year's show. I remember her exhibition piece being particularly spectacular, and I'm planning to add more of her art to my collection.

With more than 4,500 pieces on display or for sale, it's the state's largest pottery extravaganza. The exhibit includes 140 pieces, one from each participating potter plus collections from seven Georgia potters entitled "Another View: Pots and Sculpture."

Each year, it seems like the potters raise the bar, getting more and more inventive with forms, colors, glazes, etchings and interpretations. Trust me - this perspective is worth seeing.

No comments: