Friday, May 9, 2008

Dawg Food Gives the Right Bark for Eats

Ever since I started school at UGA in fall 2005, my favorite characteristic of Athens has been its wide array of restaurants. Really. You can order anything in this town.

It took me a little over two years to figure out how I could thank the Athens restaurant business, and I finally found a way. In my social media class this past fall, I created Dawg Food, a blog about my dining experiences in Athens.

I thought Dawg Food would be an appropriate title, given the demographic and the area-wide obsession with Georgia athletics, and it has been quite the learning experience.

When I first started Dawg Food, I searched and searched for a Web site that mentions and reviews Athens restaurants from a real perspective. Of course, the Flagpole and the Athens Convention and Visitors Bureau contribute their fair share of restaurant information, but I didn’t find exactly what I wanted.

This told me it was my time to step up and give back to the culinary community that had filled my tummy so many times. Originally, I started Dawg Food for the UGA community, but I have slowly developed an older, more “townie” following.

People ask me, “So what do you do with it? Do you just eat and then write about it?”

I could answer with a simple “yes,” but I tend to want to make my job sound more important.

In addition to just “writing about it,” I also try to take pictures, video and interview employees. Blogs are an effective way of bringing a business off the page, and that’s what I’ve tried to do.

Wouldn’t it make you want to go to Jot ‘Em Down Barbeque if you could see an interview with one of their cooks? What about a detailed picture of blackened salmon from The Basil Press? Did you know the Bluebird Cafe serves apple butter?

I get a lot of criticism for my “too niceness.” People say I need to be more critical in my reviews. So, I have desperately tried to provide a more well-rounded view of my dining experiences- good and bad.

Just like Athens Inbox, I believe the Athens community has some qualities that set it apart from any other small town, and I want others to know about it.

So, the next time you’re hungry or are feeling indecisive about where to eat, check out Dawg Food! If you go to one of my restaurants, go back to the Web site, and write about your experience. I always welcome user comments.

Since I’m interning at Jackson Spalding this summer, you will most likely see posts from lunches with the JS crew. Stay tuned for some great reviews!

2 comments:

hillary said...

Katherine, I'm curious as to what it is you think Grub Notes is lacking as a restaurant review column.

Katherine Strate said...

Hi Hillary,

I think Grub Notes is OK, but the reviews aren't consistent week-by-week. They also aren't very in depth, and I wanted to bring a more realistic view to the dining. I thought my pictures and videos would make it more fun to read. I have definitely referenced Grub Notes many times when writing a post or even when checking out a new place. It is very good at reviewing the brand new places and getting the inside scoop. I often find out about places (like Trax) from Grub Notes. Hopefully we make a good tag-team for Athens eaters!