Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Get a Case of Road Race

This year my father will run the Pearchtree Road Race in Atlanta for the 27th time. I have accompanied him on a few occasions but have a long way to go before catching his personal record. Needless to say running is in my blood.

Although I’m not particularly good at any specific distance I have participated in a variety of different races. Having had my fill of 5k races in high school cross-country, I began branching out after college searching for more than a basic run. I have crawled through a 50 yard mud pit with my partner in grime at the Atlanta Muddy Buddy. I hiked, biked, canoed and flat out wandered my way through the seven-hour North Carolina Adventure Race in Charlotte, N.C. And with Dad by my side I ran a couple half marathons to test my distance endurance, but have yet to conquer 26.2 miles in a full marathon. The modern marathon commemorates the run of the soldier Pheidippides from a battlefield at the site of the town of Marathon, Greece, to Athens in 490 B.C. Yet somehow Athens, Ga. has yet to host a modern day marathon.

There may not be a marathon in Athens, but the city is certainly not lacking road races through out the year. University clubs and organizations host dozens. Students and residents alike come out in support of AOP’s Race for the Roses and Hoop Girls’ Do-it-for-Broph 5k run/walk, to name a few. Outside the University you can run for the kids, run for the dogs or run for the cure depending on your preference. Coming up on May 23, you can run for special needs programs of the Barrow County schools in The Georgia Club’s Front Porch Footrace 5K Run and 1K Fun Run/Walk. The Inbox crew will have several runners (and walkers) enjoying their Friday afternoon on the streets of The Georgia Club celebrating the beginning of summer.

If you would like to participate in a race in the Athens area check out Classic Race Services’ race calendar.

No comments: