Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My To-Do List

Athens is a different town in the summer. Since I don’t go back to school until fall, I have found a new desire to be the Lewis (or Clark) of Athens. Every day I learn something new about this town, and I love it. So, I have a summer to-do list:
  1. Go kayaking down the Broad River. I love water sports, and I especially love canoeing and kayaking. It brings back great memories when my Dad took my sister and me to the Smokies to go tubing down the river for a day. There’s nothing better than sticking your feet in cold creek water on a hot day. The Sand Bar is the main outfitter for kayaking, hiking and trail rides by the river. There is also a little restaurant, so I may be able to have a “double doozie” and write a post for Dawg Food at the same time.
  2. Play in Watkinsville. I know it’s not technically Athens, but it’s close enough. Ashley Harp at the office has told me so many cool things that happen in Watkinsville, and I want to experience it for myself. I’ve heard there is a cool pottery place out there, too.
  3. Visit antique stores. I like history, and I’ve recently discovered I like antiques. I think my love for the past is the reason why I feel like a kid in a candy shop when I go into an antique store. There are so many great places in Athens that I want to visit them all. Who knows? I might even play dress-up.
  4. Go to a concert at Ashford Manor. Again, this is in Watkinsville, but it doesn’t make a difference. Concerts are performed bi-weekly at Ashford Manor in Watkinsville, and the food is catered by one of my favorite restaurants, Dondero’s Kitchen. This Monday, June 16, the concert is called “A Tribute to Billie Holiday” featuring Leslie Helpert. That should be a goodie.
  5. Take a hike (in the literal and figurative senses). When people tell you to take a hike, they mean to get lost. That’s right. I want to get out of Athens for a weekend. As a Tennessean, there are a lot of things about Georgia I don’t know. I’d like to visit Stone Mountain, Tallulah Gorge, Clayton, Ga., Blood Mountain (Don’t worry. I won’t go alone.) or maybe even Savannah. I’d like to HIKE down into the Tallulah Gorge and really see it for myself. I’ve driven by it many times, but I haven’t actually seen it.
  6. Snoop. I am a naturally nosy person. Summer is the perfect time to snoop around a place I don’t know very well. I’ve always wanted to walk in some of the old houses around town that have been renovated, so I may just drop by- within office hours, of course.

If I get all of this done, I’ll be really impressed with myself. These are my aspirations, though. I may not see the Pacific Ocean, but I'm hoping I'll make some fun discoveries along the way.

No comments: