Tuesday, June 17, 2008

TCBY: Athens' best hidden secret

I used to work at TCBY in high school. Coming from a small town, it was THE place to hang out (and still is). Boy, could I swirl those cones with the best of 'em.

When I moved to Athens, I thought this town has everything- except a TCBY. Yes, I like Marble Slab and Cold Stone (may it rest in peace), but my heart still lies with the institution that made White Chocolate Mousse and Strawberry Swirl sound appetizing.

I would complain to my friends and other Athens locals about the lack of delicious frozen yogurt (Jason's Deli doesn't cut it. They don't have sprinkles.), and they all would say, "Well you know there used to be a TCBY in the Beechwood Shopping Center. It's where Larry's Giant Subs is now." I love Larry's, but after I discovered that fact, my sandwich didn't taste so good anymore.

Until this year, I did not know what had been within 15 miles of my reach. This spring, I was putting something in the trash at my apartment, and I saw a TCBY cup in there. I immediately ran through my apartment asking my two roommates where that cup came from. Long story short, it was from Athens- sort of.

If you drive up the loop, past the Milledge Ave., College Station and Lexington exits, past Olympic Drive, all the way until the loop "ends," keep going. You'll pass Athens Tech., and then, a couple of miles later, you'll see a little gas station/Blimpie/TCBY conglomerate. Heaven.

Even with gas prices as high as they are, I still make it a point to go up there at least once a month. I must admit, it's not as nice as the one in Morristown, but the yogurt tastes the same.

This discovery made me happy, and I hope it makes you happy, too. Athens seems a little brighter now.

No comments: